Currently, a comprehensive program is being carried out to modernize mass-production helicopters Mi-35 (the Mi-35M2 program). The modernization program is aimed at enhancing the helicopter's flight performance and combat capabilities, involving:
- day/night combat employment of guided and unguided weapons in VFR and IFR weather conditions;
- day/night flying at extremely low altitudes;
- en-route low-altitude flight with a target approach in the assigned area with a required accuracy.
As to its airframe design, flight performance characteristics and weapon complement the Mi-35M2 is identical with the Mi-35M.
The modernized version is powered with upgraded altitude engines TV3-117VMA-SB3. Armor protection can be enhanced at customer's request. A 12.7mm machine gun is installed at the cargo compartment door opening.
The modernized helicopter's avionics includes:
- a multifunctional display;
- a satellite navigation station;
- a 3D electronic terrain map;
- a night surveillance and fire control radar; a helmet-mounted target designator;
- night goggles.
The Mi-35M2 program envisages a stepwise enhancement of the helicopter combat capabilities, as well as installation of offered equipment and system components in any combination at customer's request.